How to Make a booking


The ideal steps if you want to book the reading room or hire equipment are:

1. Look on the Booking calendar to see if it is available
2. Fill in the booking form which has lots of useful information
3. Either: Email a copy of the form the booking secretary on Booking Enquiry
4. Or: phoneAndy Totten 740381
5. Check your entry gets into the booking calendar

To see the new bookings calendar go here


Hiring the hall:
by the hour

for children's parties
(under 16s)


For other things you might like to hire look on the for hire page

The Reading Room is supported, funded, maintained and enhanced through the efforts of people of Bainton and Ashton therefore we offer residents of these villages the lowest rate we can to encourage use.

The facilities can be booked by people not from Bainton and Ashton. However we charge slightly more to help cover running costs.

The booking form has all the details of the booking conditions.

Download Booking form

Please note that for events that: sell alcohol, provide entertainment or supply hot food & drink after 11:00pm
you may need a temporary event notice. This needs to be done 10 days in advance.

For information on the new licensing laws on alcohol & entertainment please see the site below. I have also attached one relevant part about Temporary Event Notices.

For the Government website on licensing click here

Futher details can be found by calling Peterborough City Council on 01733 747474
Permitted Temporary Activities
The temporary event notice form is available separately.

The Licensing Act 2003 ("the Act") introduced a light touch system of permitted temporary activities to replace the old occasional licences and occasional permissions previously granted in connection with short-term alcohol and public entertainment licensing. The system involves an event organiser (the "premises user") giving a temporary event notice (TEN) to the licensing authority and copying this to the police.

TENs can be used to authorise relatively small-scale ad hoc events held in or on any premises involving no more than 499 people at any one time. The premises user must, no later than 10 working days before the day on which the event is to start, give duplicate copies of the notice to the relevant licensing authority, together with the fee of £21. A copy of the notice must also be given to the relevant chief officer of police no later than 10 working days before the day on which the event is to start. Anyone aged 18 or over can give a maximum of five TENs per calendar year. Personal licence holders can give a maximum of fifty TENs per calendar year. TENs are subject to other maximum limits, as set out below.

Each event covered by a TEN can last up to 96 hours and no more than twelve TENs can be given in respect of any particular premises in any calendar year, subject to a maximum aggregate duration of the periods covered by TENs at any individual premises of 15 days in any year. There must be a minimum of 24 hours between events notified by a premises user or associates of that premises user in respect of the same premises.

Provided that the criteria set out above are met, only the police may intervene to prevent an event covered by a TEN notice taking place or agree a modification of the arrangements for such an event and then only on crime prevention grounds.